Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Meal at The Shed

Last night, DH and I took advantage of a $50 gift certificate (that expires today) and tried dinner at The Shed at Glenwood. It was a nice little place - plenty of seating (it wasn't that busy last night), quality food and drink selections yet casual, and great service. It's located in the new Glenwood Park neighborhood, which is one of those new Atlanta urban redevelopment areas - small retail mixed with housing and a neighborhood park.

I ordered from the Prix Fixe menu for the evening, while David ordered off the regular menu. The Prix Fixe included 3 courses, with two options for each. I started with the Roasted Beet Salad with Organic Vermont Goat Cheese, Orange Segments, and White Balsamic - I thought it was really good. It was made with heirloom beets, which I found quite tasty (two kinds - one sweeter, one milder), especially with a little goat cheese with each bite. DH is not a fan of beets, but tried them, sans goat cheese. My main course - Rigatoni with Housemade Pork Sausage, San Marzano Tomatoes, Ricotta - was really yummy. I really liked the pork sausage ragu with a huge dollop of fresh ricotta on top. The pasta was al dente (yes!) and there's probably enough left over for me to make two small lunches out of it! DH didn't think all the flavors went together well, but I enjoyed it. And my dessert choice was the Flourless Chocolate Cake, Orange Anglaise. A modest slice, very chocolately, with a thick chocolate layer on top and cake underneath. The cake was very crumbly in texture, but not dry. I liked the orange sauce - it was like eating orange-flavored chocolate. DH got a small plate of mixed olives to start (some better than others, a mix of tiny ones and a couple of huge ones), and ordered the large portion of Steamed Mussels, White Wine, Garlic Cream Sauce, Fries. The sauce was quite tasty - a creamy broth flavored with garlic, cream, and some lemon. It was great to scoop up some of the liquid as a chaser after each mussel. DH would probably rate them as good (but not exceptional) mussels. All in all, I enjoyed the atmosphere and service, and the food was good enough that I would try it again. Looking forward to the next season's menu.

Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: