Sunday, November 30, 2008

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - Massachusetts

I'm going to try and summarize our trip by state, so hopefully this works out to two parts. Part 1: Massachusetts...

Dad, Mom, Lena, me, and David in our annual scarf photo.

As I mentioned in the last post, we made it to my sister's via Amtrak from Boston (South Station) to Springfield without a hitch. We had a great weekend seeing my sister's place and visiting Northampton, Chicopee, Springfield, Holyoke (where my sis and I were born), and Longmeadow (my first home). Northampton was really charming, and we enjoyed a nice brunch at Sylvester's as well as a big Christmas kickoff shopping weekend in all the shops (20% off weekend). We had a cold but enjoyable walk around the Ashley Reservoir, which was actually partially frozen the morning that we walked it, but beautiful nonetheless. We also had a really nice dinner with my old babysitter, Betsy, and her mom, Ruth. It's been 27 years since they've seen me, so it was a fun reunion for all of us!

Lena, Ruth, Buddy, Betsy, Mom, Dad, David and me.

My sister's birthday is coming up this Thursday (Happy Early Birthday, Lena!), so we went ahead a celebrated while we were all together by having dinner at a great little German restaurant in Chicopee, Munich Haus. We then went back to her place and indulged in a very yummy Truffle cake that we bought at a bakery in downtown Northampton.



Enjoying our wurst and schnitzel at Munich Haus.


Monday morning, we headed to NYC via Amtrak to New Haven and then MTA Metro-North Railroad (a commuter train) into NYC Grand Central Terminal. Our friends Val and Tim picked up a pretty nasty bug on their drive up from Atlanta, so we were advised to stay away from their hotel room initially. Luckily, we were able to stay with our dear friend Cyndi's brother, Ben, in Brooklyn for the first two nights, so other than a little longer commute time to get into the city, our travels were not delayed too much. Thankfully, Val and Tim were able to recuperate somewhat and able to start seeing the sights with us on Tuesday. Stay tuned for more on our NYC adventures in the next post!

No comments: