Monday, June 16, 2008

Live Music Matters!

It's a phrase I saw once on an Eddie's Attic t-shirt - kind of regretting that I didn't get it now, because it is something that I really believe in. DH and I went to see The Breeders live on Friday night as an early birthday event for him. I have to be honest and say that I was not one of the many die-hard Breeders fans in line, waiting to get a front row standing spot (it was general admission, standing room only), who had followed Kim Deal through The Pixies and attended at least two previous Breeders concerts on this tour and knew all of the lyrics (ATL was the final stop on the tour). Nor am I as into alternative rock as DH, but I certainly appreciate it, and like some artists more than others. Prior to this concert, I could probably only tell you some of the words of Cannonball, and even then, some of it was my own made-up lyrics (I REALLY thought "in the shade" sounded more like "hippie shake"). But in the end, I thoroughly enjoyed the concert, even though my legs and feet were killer by the end of the night, and I have to say that this was once of the best ever live concerts that I have ever been to. Kim and Kelley Deal were a delight to watch in real person, ladies that truly looked like they were enjoying playing the music for themselves more than playing for the audience - sisters goofing off and rocking out in their living room, and there just also happens to be a couple hundred people watching, too. That's a rarity these days, especially at the last concert of a tour! Seeing and hearing Cannonball live made the entire thing totally worth it. We listened to the Last Splash CD in the car all weekend on the way up to Knoxville. It was not until the way back Sunday afternoon that we decided it was time to take it out before we really got sick of it. Those girls really made that concert a special event, and I was so glad to be able to be a part of it, front and center, only 4-people-deep back!

No comments: