Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Inspirational Women

So I attended an event tonight through netWorking Women, a group formed through AIA Atlanta that creates events geared toward women who are professionally involved in the architecture/engineering/construction/allied industries community in Atlanta. I am actually trying to participate with the nWW Committee this year, so hope to be more involved in planning future events. We had a great panel discussion tonight, titled appropriately: LEEDing Ladies in Sustainable Design. (LEED is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, a building rating system developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.) The panel included women leaders in architecture, engineering, college campus facilities, the City of Atlanta, and state government. It was so interesting and inspiring to hear what these women have experienced in their work, and also great to hear perspectives that were other than from an architecture point of view. In fact, it was sort of inspiring and depressing at the same time, as I look at how behind some companies are (including mine) in incorporating sustainable design and our everyday work as well as through our projects. I mean really, truly talking the talk AND walking the walk. The U.S. as well. I am hoping that our planet is still here for the next 10 generations. I was definitely inspired to put more effort in my recycling and conservation at home. An added bonus - I won one of the book door prizes at the end - a copy of HOK's Sustainable Design book that I look forward to reading...eventually. These next two weeks at work are going to be very taxing. I'll be looking forward to June.

No comments: